Thursday 15 February 2018

39

Have you wondered how long you will live for? I know it is a tough question to ask, but sometimes we need to contemplate the life we have been given. Of course, we can never know the 'length of our days', but we can surely remember that life is fleeting. In a strange way this motivates me to try and live my life to the fullest. When I remember I am 'dust' and to dust I shall return, then the urgency of Life grips me.

This is what David contemplated in Psalm 39...

“Show me, Lord, my life’s end
    and the number of my days;
    let me know how fleeting my life is.

You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
    the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Everyone is but a breath,
    even those who seem secure."

 
“It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much. ... The life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully.” - Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Prayer: Lord, we are grateful for the breath you have given us, but teach is to remember that our days are fleeting and that we need to use every moment as a gift from you. How can I honour you with my life today?
 
Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: