Wednesday 28 February 2018

30 - Can I ask for this?

On a Lenten journey today we move to take a look at a word from the Proverbs. Solomon asks God for something unique. He says:

"...give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
    and so dishonour the name of my God." - Proverbs 30:8-9

When we analyse this word from the Message, we note something intriguing. Solomon suggests:
"If I’m too full, I might get independent, saying, ‘God? Who needs him?'"

This is one of the troubles of our modern world - we have become too self-reliant. We have lulled ourselves into a false sense of security, believing that our Independence has surpassed our need of God. Sadly, many people only realise their mistake when they have lost all their own 'gods' and wake up to discover God is all they have.

Prayer: Lord, help me not to wait until I crash and burn, before I realise my need of you. Thank you for providing for me today. Amen.

Living in Grace
D3LM3


No comments: