Thursday 9 June 2016

Turn over a new leaf

The saying, 'turning over a new leaf', implies that someone is changing their lifestyle - and usually this is for the better. For example, it could be someone who struggles with alcohol, who decides they need to stop drinking in order to get their lives back on track.

The thing with this saying, is that some people mistakenly think that the 'leaf' refers to a leaf from a tree, but it doesn't. The 'leaf' that needs to be turned over is the leaf of a book - so it is referring to a page. When you turn over a new leaf, you turn over to a blank page, in order to start on a fresh page.

I like this illustration, because it reminds me that with Jesus, I begin everyday with a fresh leaf and I can choose what to write on that page. God's grace is so radical that it allows me to re-start my journey, even if I have messed up the day before.

Colossians 1:6 - This same Good News that came to you is going out all over the world. It is bearing fruit everywhere by changing lives, just as it changed your lives from the day you first heard and understood the truth about God’s wonderful grace.

Perhaps for a few of us, it is time to turn over onto a new leaf today. I invite you to do that - start afresh and allow the Spirit to help you write your story.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: