Wednesday 20 April 2016

How loudly should we pray?

Different traditions and cultures express themselves (in worship) in contrasting ways. This is not to say that one is better than the other, but it is easy to notice some of the visible differences. One of the things I have observed over time is how my prayers can vary in emotion. I am not a person who usually prays loudly, even when I lead prayers in public, but my emotions certainly influence my prayers.

Sometimes we can get so wrapped up in the 'how' of prayer that we forget just to be natural with our Heavenly father. There may be times when I need to pray silently, remembering that God hears the cry of my heart. However, there may also be times when I am excited or overcome with emotion and I want to let my prayer 'volume' increase. There is no 'right or wrong way' - just pray.  

"The physical voice we use in prayer need not be great nor startling; even should we not lift up any great cry or shout, God will yet hear us." - Origen

So, don't be so hung up on how you pray, just express your heart to God. As Origen says, "God hears us no matter the volume of our prayers." 

Living in Grace
D3LM3
The physical voice we use in prayer need not be great nor startling; even should we not lift up any great cry or shout, God will yet hear us.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/origen.html
The physical voice we use in prayer need not be great nor startling; even should we not lift up any great cry or shout, God will yet hear us. Origen
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/origen.html

No comments: