Monday 14 March 2016

You may not get what you ask for!

Prayer is a complex thing. We ask God for things, believing that these 'things' are best for us, but we can never fully appreciate life from the vantage point that God has. So, sometimes we have to process our disappointment and trust that God has a better plan.

I came across this lovely quote when I was preparing for Sunday's message. It speaks about how God answers our prayers, but not in the way we expect. I would love to know your thoughts on this. Drop me a line when you can.



I asked for strength that I might achieve; he made me weak that I might obey.
I asked for health that I might do great things: he gave grace that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy; he did not give them so that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness that I might feel a need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I received very few of the things I asked for; but I received the things I had hoped for.” - Haddon Robinson.



Matthew 7:9-11 - “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”

As we edge closer to Easter, remember that even Jesus needed to surrender to the plans of his Father - it was not Jesus' will to suffer, but he trusted in the wisdom of his Father.
 

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: