Tuesday 13 October 2015

The journey that seldom takes place

There is an important journey that seldom takes place in each one of our lives. It is the journey from the head to the heart. Or if you like, the journey from the intellect to the emotion. Someone once remarked that the longest journey we may have to make is that 18 inches from our minds to our heart.

You see there are many of us who are good at understanding things in our minds or even knowing 'facts' in an intellectual sense, but we battle to let this information sink deeply into the core of our being. As we are all aware, there is a massive difference between knowing about something and actually believing it with conviction.

Henri Nouwen wrote a simple prayer on this theme and I love the way he captures this idea:

"Dear Lord, 
Show me your kindness and your gentleness, 
you who are meek and humble of heart.
So often I say to myself, 'The Lord loves me,'
but very often this truth does not enter
into the centre of my heart."

Worth thinking about today, BUT even better if we allow these thoughts to transform our hearts.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: