Wednesday 23 September 2015

What do have to show for it?

My two older boys are doing a Market at their school this week and of course that means that mom and dad need to hand out cash to all 3 of them. Josh loves going to all the stalls and spending his (our) money. At the end of the day it is all in aid of fun for the kiddies, and a learning experience for the older boys, who actually run their own businesses.

When I went to fetch Josh from school I asked him, what he had to show for his pocket money. He honestly had no clue what I was saying? I had to explain myself again and then he pulled out a container with bright blue goo - "this is what I bought dad!" Needless to say, I put on a brave smile and said, "That's cool boy!"

I suppose that I need to be reminded that when I give my kids a gift, I can't always dictate how they spend it. Sure, I need to offer them counsel and make practical suggestions, but one day, when they are adults, they will need to make their own choices. Of course there are times when we can spend money on things that can't be 'seen', but there are also opportunities to spend wisely and then to have something to "show for our money!" 

1 Corinthians 7:30 - "...happiness or sadness or wealth should not keep anyone from doing God’s work."

"It's good to have money and the things money can buy, but it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy." - George Horace Lorimer

Living in Grace
D3LM3


No comments: