Wednesday 19 August 2015

Climbing companions

"When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the committed, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions." - Matthew 5:1-2

I absolutely love this phrase that Eugene Peterson uses in his version of Matthew 5:2.... "climbing companions." It speaks to me on so many levels, but reminds me that my faith journey is not made alone - Christ makes the journey with me. 

In the end, this for me, separates Jesus Christ from all other deities - other gods wait for us to work our way to them, but Jesus climbs with us. The adventure of faith/life is like climbing a huge mountain and we have a climbing companion who also acts as our guide. Brilliant hey!?

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." -Helen Keller

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: