Sunday 10 May 2015

Trying to define FAITH


It is so hard to try and define FAITH. We have so many neat and simple answers to this complex issue and often these definitions leave us feeling a little short-changed. Today, I came across a 'good' workable understanding of faith and I want to share it with you. It comes from one of my favourite authors, Philip Yancey:

"I have learnt that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse."

Perhaps you need to read it again and when you read it a second time, think of a time in your life where this has proven to be true. Faith means trusting in God, despite what the evidence around us suggests. One day we will be blessed to look back and see how God's hand has moved in our lives.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." -
Saint Augustine

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." -Thomas Aquinas
I am not sure if you have a definition that works for you, but if are keen to share it with me, please comment on this post or send me an email.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: