Friday 29 May 2015

How do you understand this?

I was interested to read an article in the Sunday paper on Trevor Noah and his family. They have just experienced another tragedy in their family and one of the Matriarchs believes that there is a curse on their family. It is easy to see how she can think like this, especially when one is consumed with brokenness and grief. I have reflected on this article in the light of our own family situation:

Our family has been in the wars over the past year. All three of my boys have now broken a bone in their body playing Rugby. Nathan (10) broke his leg last year, Declan (12) fractured his knee in April and Josh (7) broken his arm last week. They were all unusual incidents in some ways, but they all required time in casualty, hospital and casts.

Some people have asked me how I feel about all of this and what I make of the situation. To be honest I don't know. I am not sure there is a theological or spiritual understanding of this situation - it could just be bad luck I suppose.

But, what would your understanding of this be - if it happened to you? Three kids, 3 different broken bones, all in one year?

Here are some of insights people have given to us so far:

1. That's just bad luck!
2. That's Life!
3. Rugby is dangerous for young kids to play!
4. My kids need to drink more milk for calcium (for stronger bones)
5. We aren't praying enough for them.
6. Someone has cursed us.
7. Other?

I don't have a conclusive answer to the why bad things happen to us all, but what I am sure of is that God's Spirit has been with us throughout these ordeals. We would not have coped without the strength and support of friends and the prayers of the faithful.

"Don't try to understand everything because sometimes it is not meant to be understood, but accepted." - Unknown

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.”- Soren Kierkegaard

What do you think?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: