Thursday 5 March 2015

A lesson from the Fire

I have been down in Cape Town this week for some meetings - it has certainly been an interesting time and it is amazing how 3 days can make a difference in your world. Firstly, I arrived on Monday as Cape Town was burning - well, the forests around the city were burning and it was a scary thing. As I drove up Ou Kaapse Weg, smoke, flames and ash were evident everywhere. It was like driving through a movie scene.

Then on Tuesday, Cape Town was literally the hottest place on the planet - at 42 degrees things were 'hotting' up all over the Cape. It was the hottest day in Cape Town in 100 years. It was surreal to be in the midst of record breaking temperatures and disaster zones.

The one reflection that I take from these drastic events was a comment I heard on one of the local radio stations. One of the environmentalists was speaking about the 'positives' of the fires. He remarked that despite the obvious loss of property, animal life and forests, the rest of the environment will bounce back from the fires. The fires will actually aid in new growth of the fynbos and for the environment, in the long term. At present it looks like 'hell', but in the future the area will be fine.

It made me think about how we sometimes need to go through 'fire' in our lives/faith and how we often lament these moments. I know that I don't always see the bigger picture, but when we place our trust in God's hands, he always brings incredible new growth from the 'devastation.' So, the next time you face a firing trial, just hold on to what you can and then ask God to give you insight into his plans for the future.

Isaiah 43:2-3
 When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;


God bless you
Living in Grace
D3LM3

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your message. This is how I feel at the moment "burned up", but new life will start soon I believe...God bless you...

Delme Linscott said...

God bless you Edwin - may God continue to refresh your spirit and heal your heart. Delme