Sunday 23 November 2014

May You be my Vision...

We sang this ancient hymn this evening at our worship service - it always moves me in mysterious ways. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the song is nearly 1500 years old and echoes profound wisdom and truth - all of which has been passed down throughout the ages. Or it could just be that the lyrics are so God-inspired that they remain timeless. You judge for yourself:

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
Be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
Thou my best thought in the day and the night,
Both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
Be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
Be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
Be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
Be thou my whole armour, be thou my true might;
Be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
Be thou mine inheritance now and always;
Be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of Heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of Heaven, thou Heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after victory is won!;
Great heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.
Please don't rush through these words - try and read them again as a prayer. I am sure that the original author of these words, Saint Dallan, didn't intend us to skim over them in a rush to our next chores.

What do these words say to you this morning? Do you still have Christ in the forefront of your thoughts or have you pushed him down the order of importance?

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: