Thursday 23 January 2014

Please give me a Quote

When you want some work done around the house or at work, you usually ask someone to give you a quote. Once you receive the quotes you then decide if you can afford to go ahead with the work or not. It may seem like a good idea before hand, but the quote can make all the difference in the end. Can you imagine if it worked the same with Jesus.

ME: "Hey Jesus, I think you are great and I would like to follow you. But before I do, could you give me some idea of what I am in for (a quote)?"
JESUS: "Well, Delme it's quite simple really. It will cost you all you have."
ME: "Excuse me, Lord! Didn't quite hear you there - you seemed to be breaking up a little. Did you say it would cost me everything."
JESUS: "Yip!"
ME: "Like as in ALL?"
JESUS: "That's what I just said."
ME: "Mmmmh, well, is there no ways, you could give me a little discount? How about 50% off?"
JESUS: "I'd love to Delme, but it doesn't work that way. It's all or nothing."
ME: "Ok, Lord. Can I think about this for a while. I wasn't prepared to pay that much. Are you sure I can't get anything good for a fraction of the cost?"
JESUS: "Sorry, Delme. Following me will be tough, complex, tiring, exhilarating, adventurous, rewarding, a huge blessing, but it doesn't come for nothing."
ME: "Maybe I will come back later then. Really don't know why you don't want me to follow you even a tiny bit?"
JESUS: "Well, the reason it can't work like that is because when I died on the cross, I didn't just ask for 10% of your sins or even 50% of them. I took them all upon myself and it is that 100% that opens the door for our relationship. It was all or nothing for me and so that is the price for you too."
ME: "But Jesus that's being unfair. How will I survive if I give my all to you?"
JESUS: "You will be surprised!"
ME: "Meaning what?"
JESUS: "Once you give me all, I will know where your treasure lies and then I will give it all back to you. You can then look after it for me and in that way you will have way more than you ever dreamt you'd need."
ME: "Ok, Jesus. I don't get the logic, but give me some time to think it over..."

When it comes to following Jesus, we can't ask for a quote and then negotiate the price. Jesus said it like this:



Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.”Matthew 16:24-25

Worth thinking about...

Living in Grace
D3LM3



No comments: