Wednesday 22 January 2014

Did I make the call?

Too often in my faith I fall into the trap of thinking that I am doing Jesus a favour by following him. But, this is clearly a dangerous mindset to fall into. We need to remember that it was Jesus who called us first:

"Come, Follow me!" - Mark 1:17

SO, if and when I decide that "Yes" I want to follow Christ, I need to do so on His terms. It is not my place to negotiate with Jesus when and where I can fit this "disciple" thing into my busy schedule.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer remarks:
"Discipleship is not an offer that man makes to Christ."

This is spot on. I need to be reminded that I never made the first call - I just responded to Jesus' call. It was his offer to me and when I accepted, I took on board the whole 'package' of being a Christ-follower!

Living in Grace
D3LM3


No comments: