Wednesday 23 October 2013

No voice

As the health of the great Methodist Preacher, William Sangster, deteriorated, he lost the use of his legs and voice. He was still able to write, although barely. On the Easter morning, just a few days before his death, he wrote a letter to his daughter. In the letter, he said,

"It is terrible to wake up on Easter morning and have no voice to shout, "He is risen!" 
But it would be still more terrible to have a voice and not want to shout."

These words are so profound! I still feel a pain in my heart when people choose not to follow Jesus. I don't look upon them with pity, but rather with a genuine sadness. It is not that I feel superior and 'pity' these people, but rather that I am sad that they have not seen in Jesus what has changed my life! God's love and grace once collided with my life and got my attention - and I knew that I had to sing out "Jesus is Risen!"  

I don't want this to only be for me and you - I want this to be the experience of everyone. It burdens me that people will wake up on Easter Sunday and not be able to honour the risen Christ.

May we do what we can to help others find their voice, so they may also shout, "Jesus is Alive!"

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: