Wednesday 11 September 2013

Peace on 9/11


On the anniversary of 9/11, it is appropriate to speak about our desire for peace. Sadly, it seems that despite good intentions, peace still eludes the world and if anything, we may be living in times of greater pain and chaos. Why is this so? Surely, when we see all the heartache in our communities if should inspire us to push for greater peace? One would think so. Yet, I think we are still looking for ‘peace’ in the wrong places. 

Peace will continue to elude us if we look for it in human ideals and programmes design by men and women. Peace is a gift from God and when we embrace that ‘Peace’ then we can begin to share that with others. Listen to what Jesus said about Peace:


  • John 14:27 – “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
  •  John 16:33 - "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Peace is not something I have ownership of; therefore I can’t give it to you. But, when I receive it from God, then I can celebrate the same peace that is available to all humanity. When you and I both find peace in our Creator, then we can find peace in one another.

Make any sense? Worth thinking about…

·     “Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding” - Albert Einstein

·     “If you want peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies” - Archbishop Tutu

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: