Monday 10 June 2013

Hello Darkness


Reading through Psalm 88 this morning I was startled by the ending.

"...the darkness is my closest friend." - Psalm 88:18

All of the Psalms are brutally honest and contain their fair share of bleakness, but they usually end up in a positive place. Today's Psalm leaves us hanging, wondering how things turn out for the writer.

The next Psalm immediately starts with a positive note - "I will sing of the Lord's great love for ever" which is a great continuation of the story and leaves me feeling a little more encouraged.

By the way, when I had finished reading Psalm 88, the song 'Hello Darkness' by Simon and Garfunkel came into my mind:

"Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence."


May God be with us in the midst of our dark moments.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: