Wednesday 27 February 2013

Sunday, Bloody Sunday - Lent 13

 
I can't believe the news today
Oh, I can't close my eyes
And make it go away
How long...
How long must we sing this song
How long, how long...


These are the opening lyrics to the song, Sunday, Bloody Sunday, written by the hugely famous band U2. They wrote these words during the troubles in Northern Ireland in the 1980's. This song focuses  on the Bloody Sunday incident in Derry where British troops shot and killed unarmed civil rights protesters and bystanders.

I share this with you because this was the song that immediately came to mind when I began reading Psalm 13. In the opening two verses David cries out 4 times to God, "How long O Lord?" Each time he speaks these words they relate to something in particular. How long will God...

  • Forget us
  • Hide from us
  • Let me wrestle with my thoughts and sorrow
  • Let our enemies triumph over us
Perhaps you can relate to this right now! Perhaps your prayers also start with the phrase "How long O Lord?" If this is you, then please read the entire Psalm and note the word of hope and comfort David brings. His questions end with a statement of faith, born out of a clear belief in God's willingness to act and love.

"But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord, 
for he has been good to me." - v.5-6

God will always deliver us from our darkest night!

Living in Grace
D3LM3

No comments: