Sunday 19 February 2012

Ash Wednesday


Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, which is our preparation for Easter. Lent reminds us that Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days before he began his public ministry, which ultimately led him to the Cross. In our community we celebrate Ash Wednesday, combined with a touch of Shrove Tuesday. We eat pancakes before we go into our Ash Wednesday service and to be honest the sense of community and fellowship is a wonderful start to Lent.

May you be conscious of Christ's presence this Lenten journey.

Living in Grace
D3LM3

2 comments:

Winter said...

I haven't been "Catholic" for many years, having joined a wonderful protestant church after we moves from SF to Indiana. Still, some thigs like Advent and Lent I carry with me. i introduced my husband to the tradition when he first got saved..we have shared it with our children. Easter is such a fabulous time of reflection and power..it's good to remember what went into that amazing blessing and not be afraid to "share in his sufferings"...even if it is in this small way :)

Delme Linscott said...

Thanks again for this insight. As a Methodist community we have been blessed by other disciplines and services from other Denominations. Although I would consider myself a staunch Evangelical/Protestant I find Lent helpful in my own preparations for Easter. As a person who is prone to be side-tracked, I need some spiritual order in my faith-journey. The Spiritual disciplines offer me this 'boundary' without making my faith dry and life-less. I have been amazed by the response from people in our community who have experience Christ in a profound way over this season.

Is it possible to have Protestant version of Lent? :)

May you be blessed this Lenten period.
Delme