Saturday 18 June 2011

Deville Wood


After choosing not to blog whilst we travelled through Picardy (northern France), I feel as if I need to write 5 or 6 posts - we saw so many amazing things during our 5 days there. However, one of the most striking memories for me, will be our visit to the Deville Wood memorial. This commemorates the South African's who lost their lives in the 1st World War defending the Wood from the Germans. It is a deeply moving place and one that I will not forget for a long time. Of the 3200 (plus) South Africans who started defending Deville Wood, only 143 were still alive 6 days later. Such a tragic number of lives lost. I couldn't help thinking of all the families impacted by these wars - how quickly we forget.

I pray that you have a wonderful week. Don't take a minute for granted.

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: