Thursday 9 September 2010

Why I will NOT burn a Quran on 11 September!


An American pastor Terry Jones is adamant that his 'International Quran burning day' on Saturday 11th September, is going ahead. This is even after many Christians have pleaded with him not to go ahead and the US Government has warned him not to burn the Quran.

As a Christ-follower I can't find any biblical mandate for his actions. In fact, I keep reflecting on Jesus words, 'Love your neighbour as you love yourself' (Matthew 22:39). There is another scripture that I think that Terry should heed before he burns the Quran...

Mark 12:33 - "To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbour as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Terry's desire to make his own 'burnt offering' may be done out of a desire to please God, but I think Jesus is clear what He would prefer.

James says the same thing (James 2:8) - If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right.

If he wants to do something right, perhaps he should be talking to and embracing his Muslim 'enemies' (as he calls them) and showing them the Incarnational love of Jesus. He would have more chance of revealing the Gospel to them this way, than by making them so angry that they won't want to hear about Terry's 'Jesus.' (By the way, I think the God I know may be a little different to Terry's picture of Jesus).

Just in case you happen to be reading this blog post, Terry, you should read about the history of book burning to see how unsuccessful it has been in the past. There was also a comment made by a Christian playwright, Heinrich Heine, who wrote:

"Where they burn books, so too will they in the end burn human beings."

Makes you think, doesn't it!

So, sorry to disappoint you Terry, but I will not join you in burning a Quran on Saturday. However, I will pray for you, for your church and for the Muslim community. That I promise you!

Anyway, that's my few thoughts on this. How do you all feel?

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

4 comments:

John van de Laar said...

Great post Delme! All I can say is: "Amen!"

Jenny Hillebrand said...

I wish we as a church in Pietermaritzburg could make a statement. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

Thank You for your help & respect... you honestly are a genuinly nice person. i wish there were more like you

Delme Linscott said...

Thanks for all the comments folk. I am not sure how to go about making the statement Jenny, but I suppose that sending something to the Newspapers is worth a try. The Blogosphere is also a useful tool.
Grace and peace,
Delme