Tuesday 14 September 2010

Deus Vult


During our early morning devotion at 'MacCafe' today, we got onto the topic of 'Deus Vult.' This term means 'God wills it' and, in all kinds of ways, has been in our church lingo for centuries. Interestingly it had it's origins in being a battle cry for the first Crusade, where Christians were convinced that it was God's will to defend Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Sometimes we use this slogan as a sign of resignation - "It is God's will that this should happen." (We usually do this when we can't explain 'why' something happened & so we pin it onto the Will of God.)

Or sometimes people will proclaim after horrific events such as September 11 or Genocide in Rwanda or flooding in Pakistan, that these are part of 'God's Will!" Wow, I struggle with that. I understand what the comment is saying, but I still struggle with it.

I think we would be better off to use it in the context that James mentions it. Read his words...

"Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." - James 4:13-15

If I have surrendered my life to Christ, then I can safely say that I surrendered to His Will and purpose. This is when I am happy to say, 'Deus Vult.'
That's me - what about you?

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: