Tuesday 6 July 2010

Repentance


We have probably come across the word 'Repent' in Church circles before. It can be used to make people feel guilty about their lives, but when used in the right way, it is a powerful concept. I have been reading 'The Secret Message of Jesus' (by Brian Maclaren) and he writes this:

"Repentance means to reconsider your direction and consider a new one, to admit that you might be wrong, to give your life a second thought, to think about your thinking. It means, just as Jesus said to Nicodemus that night, that you have to begin again, become a child again, be born again."

I find that when I take some time out, I try to 'give my life a second thought'. I try to consider the direction I have been heading and honestly discern if I need to 'repent.'

What do you think about this? Perhaps it's time for some good old repentance!

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Delme,

Brian says, “Repentance means to reconsider... [to] consider a new one... second thought... think about your thinking

That’s a lot of cerebral activity without a lot of leg work. Biblical repentance is matched by action. It’s not a fleeting butterfly thought that lands briefly before fluttering off...

Consider Luke 3:8-14, Acts 3:19 and Acts 26:20 for starters. Jesus says, “Produce fruit in keeping with repentance”

To think without action is like owning a car without tyres. Pointless.

Sorry I haven't commented for a while.

Delme Linscott said...

Hey Mark
thanks for your thoughts!
Great to hear your views. Blessings my friend.
Delme