Wednesday 21 July 2010

Challenging thoughts on forgiveness


A friend asked me today to blog my thoughts on Colossians 3:13 - "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."

So, here are a few thoughts:

1. Context is crucial in most passages - the young church in Colosse was facing many outside challenges and Paul wanted to encourage them to stick together and to practise forgiveness and 'patience' in the church.

2. We need to remember that just as we have faults, so do others. When we worship in the body of Christ, alongside people with faults, we need to be more understanding of their faults (as they will have to be with ours).

3. If we allow forgiveness to fester within our spirit it will slowly destroy us and ultimately the church (the Bride of Christ)

4. Jesus forgave us, even when we were not in a place to make things right. His forgiveness was unconditional.

5. Christ's forgiveness meant 'abundant life' for us. Forgiveness granted to others, can mean 'life' for them, but it always leads to 'life' for us.

6. It sometimes helps to read the verse in different translations. The ones I like to read are the New Living Translation and the Message, just to get a different perspective.

"Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others." - NLT

"Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you." - Message

This is my 5 cents worth. Please reflect on this and feedback to me. I will pass on your pearls of wisdom to my friend. Better still, comment on the blog-site and they will be able to read it themselves.

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

P.S. If you have something that you would like me to blog about, send me a message and I will see what I can do. Thanks. Photo credit here

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Thanks for this word this morning. I agree wholeheartedly with the notion that sometimes different translations will give another nuance of meaning that will speak to you in a way that is more clear.

That certainly was true for me in this instance.

Thanks

Delme Linscott said...

Thanks Theresa - your comments are helpful.
Blessings
Delme