Thursday 3 June 2010

What do you do?


Most of us have been in this situation before. We are at a function (wedding, birthday, Reunion etc) and we meet some new people. Usually within the first minute the conversation ends up with someone asking, "So, what do you do?"
In my case, this is normally a conversation 'crasher' or 'starter!' The people that are clearly not interested in God, suddenly develop a need to run to the toilet or find their car keys and the conversation crashes. I am left standing thinking to myself, "I am sure I said I am a Pastor, not a leper!"

Anyway, on the other hand, some people are genuinely interested in what happens in the 'ministry' and we end up speaking at length about life and faith.

Here is a tip. Next time someone asks you what you do, tell them, "I help other human beings!" They will look at you with a confused stare and then share the next quote with them...

"There is no more noble occupation in the world than to assist another human being - to help someone succeed." - Alan McGinnus

We can all do this. This should be one of our primary occupation's, without neglecting our imperative to tell people of the Gospel of Jesus.

Luke 10:37 - The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

So, what do you do?

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: