Thursday 18 February 2010

Deus Absconditus


There is certainly enough evidence from Scripture to reassure us that we are not the only generation to feel that God sometimes hides from us.

Habakkuk 1:2 – “How long O Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen?”

Psalm 22: 1-2, 19
v.1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
v.2 “O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer,
by night and am not silent."

v.19 “But you, O Lord, be not far off…”

Thomas Aquinas first used the phrase 'Deus Absconditus', which suggests a God who has consciously left this world to hide elsewhere. Martin Luther spoke about this many years later as he tried to explain the 'remoteness' of God.

However, is it true that God hides from us? Does God want to abscond from his creation? If the answer is 'No' then how do we explain the times when God seems far away from us?

What do you think?

Resting in God's Grace,
D3LM3

1 comment:

Quin said...

I think God is asleep during those times when he feels far away..Think saying that he is "hiding" is the wrong terminology, suggesting that God is deliberately trying to avoid us, which contradicts the love that He is sharing with us..