Tuesday 27 October 2009

It's better when we are together


The famous lines from the Jack Johnson song go like this...
"It's better when we are together!"

I see this as a mantra for my relationship with God. When my days get so hectic and I don't spend time with Christ, I feel that my days are not as 'good' as they could be. I am often more stressed, critical, impatient and unloving - the fruits of the Spirit don't seem to be as evident in my life as they could be.

A life spent in communion with Jesus takes lots of discipline and practise. There is no easy option, short-cut or microwave version of 'submitting our LIVES' to Christ. The secret lies in the 'long view' and realising that we need to try and cultivate our relationship on a daily basis.

I am sometimes asked how I spend my 'devotional' times and whilst I am not perfect in this arena, here are a few tips. If they help you, then please use them.

1. Space - I am a person who needs quiet for my devotions. This is not for everyone, but I like to lock myself away from the noise of the world. I find that I am more receptive to the promptings of the Spirit. For some of us, driving in the car listening to a Christian CD creates this 'space.'

2. Scripture - sounds obvious, but sometimes we can read so many other things that speak 'about' God, that we forget to read what the 'Word of God' says. I usually have my devotional guide with me - this has the scripture, a few comments and a short prayer. This is helpful to start off my time with God. Find something that works for you and if you need help, just shout!

3. Journal - I keep a journal, where I write down the scriptures that I read and if I feel God prompting me with something. To be honest, I have never ever heard God speak to me in an audible voice, but I have strongly felt His guidance and promptings through these devotional times.

4. Prayer - This is normally the hardest part for me, as I am a 'pray as you go' kind of person. I discipline myself to sit for a few moments, in order to allow God to whisper to me. I sometimes write my prayers down, as this allows God a chance to respond. I am good at giving God my 'story', but I am still learning to listen to His voice.

5. Do - if I have felt led to do something in the devotion, I make it a priority to do it soon.

I hope that this is helpful for some of you. I know that many of you are already further down the road than I am, but may we all be inspired to nurture 'quality time' with Christ. I think we need to be less stressed about how we do it and rather just plunge into it and commit to the process.

Growing in Grace,
D3LM3

2 comments:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

"When my days get so hectic and I don't spend time with Christ" ... hey dude: Christ is always with you! But sometimes we are not conscious to the presence of God - and so I too need the devotional practice you outline.

Delme Linscott said...

Pete, you are right. Such bad theology on my behalf. I apologise. But then again I had you as my mentor and teacher for Phase 1 - what can I say...

May we all be more conscious of Christ with us!

Blessings,
Delme