Friday 23 October 2009

Did you know?


Did you know that the South African One Rand coin has the following inscription on the front - "Soli Deo Gloria?" It means 'To God be Glory!' If you didn't know this, please go and check it out.

A friend of mine (Tim) pointed it out to me a few weeks ago & it raises a few interesting thoughts for me:

1. As a country is this something that our leaders are striving for (giving God the glory) or is this just a 'nice' thing to inscribe on our coins?

2. We complain about how Americans loosely use the phrase 'In God we trust' and yet we argue that we are not sure 'which god' they are referring to. Well, the same could apply to us South Africans - which 'god' do we give glory to? Power, Injustice, Corruption, Money, Culture? At the moment, God is certainly not being glorified by the actions of many people who call themselves 'Christians.' Harsh, but FACT!

3. Can I use this simple One Rand coin to influence my own use of money? If I ask myself a simple question every time I spend my cash, will I be more generous and less 'bound' by finances? The question is "Am I glorifying God with this purchase?"

Jesus was absolutely spot on when he said: "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." - Matthew 6:24

Grace to you,
D3LM3

No comments: