Tuesday 22 September 2009

Change


"Change is a constant and an unavoidable part of life." - George Barna

We use the word 'Change' in a lot of different ways today. When we pay for something at the shop we may be lucky to get some 'change'; when we go on holiday, we take a 'change' of clothes with us; if we have a flat tyre, we 'change' that tyre. Change is all around us.

Most of the times we link the concept of 'change' with replacing concepts, ideas, styles and people. If we perceive that they have served their purpose, then we tend to think that they are disposable.

Agreed, there are some things that simply must change (computers, for example), but there are others (like people) that should never be discarded, even if they stubbornly resist change. If I choose to treat people like I would my old 386 computer, then I am heading into dangerous territory.

Jesus believed that everyone had potential and that if given a chance, we could all change for the better. The Rich Young Ruler, the Samaritan Woman, the Leper, and even the Disciples. Jesus gave them all a chance - some accepted his Grace and Mercy and they were changed forever. Others stubbornly resisted and probably lived to regret their actions.

How do you handle change? Being a Christ-follower means that we have to accept that the Holy Spirit wants us to change all the time - God wants us to be shaped into the perfect image he has in mind for us. Resisting God's promptings, means resisting change - we get to choose!

If I look at my life, I can see that I have changed in many ways - yes, I am far from the finished article, so I must brace myself for more change. Change will be hard, but it will be good.

Read what Jesus says about our need to change...

Matthew 18:3 - "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

Being changed by Grace
D3LM3

No comments: