Sunday 23 August 2009

Unravelling the Mystery of Prayer


As I have been reflecting on the 'mystery of prayer' I have to admit that I have been wrestling with my own way of praying. Although this is challenging, I see it as something that is necessary. If our faith (and in particular our prayer life) was never encouraged to change and grow, then I think that we would reach a stage of staleness in our prayers. No one really wants to pray 'life-less' prayers.

Here are two quotes from Philip Yancey's book on prayer that I have found interesting:

"I have discovered that God wisely answers prayer in a different way than I envision." - Yancey

"When I pray, coincidences happen. When I don't pray, they don't." - Archbishop William Temple

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - "Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live." (Message)

I encourage you to be creative in your prayer life this week.

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: