Tuesday 11 August 2009

Unfair Comparison?


When we are struggling to feel content with life, relationships or even with our material possessions, we usually start the 'comparison game'. We start to look around at what others have and often this feeds into our discontentment even more. Michael Levine calls this the 'Contrast Effect.'

Most people compare their lives with those who are on the levels above them and so we then justify our sense of disappointment when obviously we don't match up. Proper perspective reminds us of how richly we have been blessed, even if we don't have it all.

My reading this morning reminded me of how the Israelites tried to make new gods, because they noticed how other religions had gods they could see & touch. Speaking on behalf of Yahweh, Isaiah writes:
"To whom will you compare me or count me equal?
To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?"
(Isaiah 46:5)

"I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me."
(v.9)

When we understand the Grace of God, we will realise that there is no real comparison between Jesus and other gods. There is none like Jesus.

Sustained by Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: