Sunday 30 August 2009

In the mood?

Henri Nouwen“We cannot plan, organize or manipulate God; but without a careful discipline, we cannot receive him either.”

If things had to depended on our 'moods' before they were 'fixed' then a lot of things in my house wouldn't get done. If the broken gutter or blocked toilet depended on my mood, they would never get fixed. If washing the car or going to the dentist depended on if I was in the mood (or not), they wouldn't get done.

Sadly, many people see prayer in the same way. "I will pray when I feel inspired to, when it is meaningful to me," they say. This doesn't happen as often as it should and so we don't spend much time in prayer. One purpose of prayer is to increase our awareness of Jesus in our lives and the role that he plays in our life. If we only pray when we feel inspired then we miss out on opportunities to increase our awareness of God.

The challenge for all of us, is to be disciplined in prayer. In this way we increase our awareness of God's voice and the plan he has for our lives.

Keep on praying.
D3LM3

No comments: