Monday 27 July 2009

Restoring Hope


It has been a long time since I visited the Dentist. The reasons for this are mainly down to my 'fear' of the Dentist's chair and the sound of the drill!! It sounds strange I know, but I have been putting off my visit to the Big D. for ages and last week I sought of plucked up the courage to go. Well it was a 'half-portion' of courage, because instead of seeing the Dentist I decided to go to the Oral Hygienist (and yes, there is a difference!)

I spent most of the morning getting myself mentally prepared for the 'torture of the chair', but when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. The Hygienist was a Christian and once she knew I was a minister, she preceded to talk about Church and her faith most of the appointment. All I could add to the conversation was the occasional 'AH' or 'MMMh' as I had the suction pipe halfway down my throat.

In the end, I left feeling good. My teeth were clean and she had restored my faith in 'Dentists.' In fact, I was so 'changed' that I booked a REAL Dentists appointment for a few weeks time. My Hope has been restored.

This whole episode got me thinking about how often we get the chance to change someone's opinion of the Church, God, or Christianity. There are many people in our community who have been put off Jesus because of a bad experience. I know that this is no excuse for them not to believe, but it is sad that they have judged the rest of us, because of the actions of someone else. Sad, but true.

This week, may we seek to 'Restore Hope' to those who may have lost their way.
Galatians 6:9-10 - "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

Living in Grace,
D3LM3

No comments: