Sunday 12 July 2009

Jesus speaking to Michael Jackson's 'loneliness'


Unless you have been asleep for the past 2 weeks, we all know that the 'King of Pop' has gone to meet his Maker. I would love to have been a fly on the 'heavenly walls' as Jesus and MJ met face to face - what words would have been spoken? Unfortunately, that is not a privilege we get to enjoy.

Anyway, in the past few days I have been struck by the huge sense of irony that MJ was surrounded by millions of adoring fans and 'groupies', yet he struggled so much with loneliness. Read this quote that I found - “People think they know me, but they don't. Not really. Actually, I am one of the loneliest people on this earth. I cry sometimes, because it hurts. It does. To be honest, I guess you could say that it hurts to be me.”-(Michael Jackson). How tragic is that?!

So I decided to preach on this tonight - (well mainly on our own sense of loneliness), but hinged it on what Jesus may have said to MJ (and us) about the times that we feel empty, lonely, desperate etc.

These are the 5 'words' that I feel God may have spoken to us, in a summarised form:
1. I understand your loneliness - (Mark 14 - garden of Gethsemane & John 16:32)
2. You are the 'apple of my eye.' - Deuteronomy 32:10
3. You are my 'masterpiece' (workmanship) - Ephesians 2:10
4. I am still looking out for you (Job 36:7, 1 Kings 19)
5. Let me be your strength - Psalm 46:1, Exodus 15:2, Isaiah 41:10

It does not matter how many followers we have on Twitter or 'friends' on Facebook, we can still feel deeply broken at times. The 'Kings of Kings' promises to walk alongside us in 'the valley of the loneliness.'

May you know His presence with you today.

His Grace is enough
D3LM3

No comments: